Coronavirus update
18 April 2020

by British Carriagedriving

The lockdown measures, implemented by the Prime Minister on 23rd March, are set to continue for at least another three weeks. British Carriagedriving urges all members and stakeholders to adhere to this guidance and advice, particularly on social distancing, in order to help contain the spread of the virus.

All events scheduled to take place in May or June have either been cancelled or postponed. The organisers of Cricklands hope that restrictions will be lifted sufficiently to enable a training event, which can be organised at fairly short notice, to take place on the date previously allocated for the national event.

Looking ahead in the hope that some events can run, Council confirmed that any horse or pony that missed an annual vaccination regrettably will have to start the Primary Course again and have the first two vaccinations before they can compete. Council have agreed to waive the requirement for horses to have been vaccinated within six months of an event, but this will be reintroduced for the 2021 season.

British Carriagedriving remain committed to taking whatever steps we can to maintain as much as possible of our season, and we remain confident that it will still be possible to put on a National Championships and send teams to the various FEI championships scheduled for later this year. At this time there has been no update from the FEI for driving although none of this year’s championships have been cancelled yet and the driving Task Force is due to meet in the near future. The Council are keeping an open mind and flexible approach to the events that may be considered as selection events and to the possibility that it may be necessary to request that the team is chosen by the Selection and Ratification panel.

The BEF offices are closed and all staff are working from home so FEI passports can no longer be processed. It is not yet known when this service will be resumed.

BC Chairman, Chris Smith, said, “I hope that you and your families are all safe and well. Council are aware of the uncertainty members currently face and are seeking to reduce costs for British Carriagedriving wherever possible. For this reason, the BC office will only open on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning until further notice. Our Executive Officer will use annual leave to enable us to implement this strategy.

Our Treasurer has been looking at various scenarios regarding partial or full cancellation of the season and assessing the impact on the Company’s finances and reserves. We are confident that we will be able to weather the abandonment of much (or, if worse comes to worse, all) of our planned programme for 2020. I would urge everyone to follow the government guidelines fully but look forward to the day on which they are lifted so that we can carry on enjoying our sport.”


British Carriagedriving statement issued 1 April 2020

BEF Vaccination update - issued 2 April 2020

BEF update - issued: Fri 27 March 2020  DOWNLOAD PDF

British Carriagedriving statement issued 20 March 2020



We are updating the event listings and diary pages as soon as we are notified by the organisers of any cancellations.


Pages in Carriage Driving magazine
BC Council meeting minutes